BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 17, 2009

I know no one will admit this, but…

I hate breastfeeding. I don’t find it bonding in the least, but instead a really big pain in the boob. I get bitten, scratched, gnawed on, pinched, and hurt in other new fantastic ways. I admit that when banana was really little it was nice knowing that I could sustain her for another day of life, but now that she’s almost nine months old, I’m over it. I gave her a bottle (collective gasp) of formula (another collective gasp) last night and she fell asleep. I have to admit that watching her take down that bottle and not feeling boob pain was more bonding than a million breastfeeding sessions. I got to actually see her little features that are normally hidden by my boobs. She looked absolutely adorable. So, although I’m not going to give up breastfeeding, I am going to add a bottle here and there to give my poor newly saggy boobs a break every few hours. I’m sure the opinions will come in by the butt loads about how I’m going to kill her with formula, but try not to be too mean; I have been her boob slave for the past nine months.

P.S. I just want you to know that if you are a dedicated breastfeeder, I really admire your ability to do it and not want to scream that you're done.

3 comments:

GeorgiaChick said...

You are hilarious. Boob slave! I admit I feel the same way.

Chantelle said...

What!! Girl, I would never dog anyone for stopping breastfeeding, and especially if you've made it 9 months. I made it two WEEKS with my daughter, and I hurt so bad that I was officially done. It was never, EVER a bonding experience for me. I was bleeding, in pain, and literally digging my heels into the floor to get through it. It made me resent every time that she got hungry, and I had a much better bonding giving a bottle to both of my kids. After all that, I didn't even TRY with my son- it's an anatomical issue that isn't going away, and well, I HATED breastfeeding. I'll totally admit it!
My daughter was on total formula from 2 weeks on, and my son was from day 1- they are both smart and it doesn't make me a bad mom. So if after 9 months you used formula, you aren't a bad mom, and you definitely won't get an earfull from me ;)

bodoba said...

I totally understand what you mean! For the first 9 wks of my daughters life I was bleeding from breastfeeding and I kept at it. It took that long for my scars to heal from not latching properly and not having any lanonlin cream to help them along.

I kept at it until she started biting. I had to go back to work around the 8 months mark anyways so she was weaned by 7 months. But she was done, some babies just wean themselves.

I'm so proud of you for feeding for 9 months straight! That's an incredible feat.